Friday, September 2, 2011

My marathon journey has looked familiar



As I look back at the last 11 weeks of training and look forward to the final 6, something became very clear to me. My training has resembled much of what I have had to go through in my life. I have had ups and downs just like everyone else but through mental strength, faith and determination I have been able to overcome the obstacles that have been thrown my way. As a result I have become stronger mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

After an awakening 30K run last week I find myself so much more at peace now. I find that whatever happens on race day I will be satisfied because the training has allowed me to grow stronger. The goal, when I made the decision to compete in another marathon, was to prove to myself that I still had the mental toughness to run a marathon after not racing for more than a year. However, along the way I have proven so much more to myself and that is something that no race result will be able to take away from me.

My training this week has been good with the exception of my first set of 800M's on Tuesday. My schedule called for 6 sets of 800M and the goal was to run each of them in under 3 minutes and 30 seconds. As I completed the first lap and looked at my watch I noticed it said 3:53! I was so upset with myself and after having an internal shouting match I finished the next 5 sets in 3:20, 3:20, 3:18, 3:16, and 3:16 for an average of 3:25 for the 6 sets. I even contemplated running one more set to make up for the first one. However, I made the right decision not to because on race day, there will be no "do overs!" The fact that I didn't give all that I had during that first set was a lesson I won't forget on race day. If I'm not sore, hobbled, exhausted and spent every ounce of energy I have during the race then I will have regrets. I plan on leaving everything I have, lungs and all, on the roads of Toronto on October 16th!

Wednesday's 7 mile easy run and Thursday's tempo run were both excellent. I now am preparing to run between 33-36 KM's on Saturday morning. I decided to weigh myself yesterday and noticed that my weight had dipped to 168 pounds. I am feeling much lighter and it wouldn't surprise me to see my weight to get down to 160 pounds by race day. I haven't run at that weight in a long time. My nutrition has been sound as I have been Gluten free for the majority of my training. I will try to be even more strict during this final stage of training.
My goal is to run for at least 3.5 hours tomorrow. I need to slow down my running so that my body can prepare for being on my feet for that long during the Marathon.
I better make sure I throw on a few slow songs on my MP3 player.... :)

No comments: