Friday, September 9, 2011

5 weeks to go!



It finally happened! There I was up at 4:00 AM preparing for my fartlek run (speed play) workout. My motivation was low and I wondered how I was going to get through the workout. I knew that once I got myself out the door I'd be fine and as soon as my feet hit the pavement I was off and running. I actually had one of my better runs but was so upset with myself for having negative thoughts that I decided to punish myself by increasing the amount of the speed interval and decreasing the rest time. The actual run covered 5 miles and I completed it in under 40 minutes which I was happy about.

Between doing the track workout, which I'm really not enjoying, tempo runs and fartleks my body is starting to really take a beating. However, with only 5 weeks to go I know that I have to keep pusing forward and stay as positive as possible.

I have been following a 4 week mini cycle and I am completing my 3rd cycle this weekend. The 4th week is a down week for me so I am running 21 K's on Saturday and 16on Sunday.

On Monday I begin my last mini cycle. I have to guard against overtraining but also need to ensure that I maintain my conditioning at the same time. It's a fine balance for sure and I'm trying to get as much advice from runners who I respect before I make-up my final 4 weeks (with a 1 week taper).

No comments: