Friday, August 26, 2011

Marathon Training Update August 26th


(a graph showing what a Fartlek Run looks like)



(how I feel after doing a Fartlek Training Session)





I have been on vacation since my last post but while I have taken a break from work during this time, my training has continued. In fact, I have been getting more rest which in turn has really helped with my training.
Since my last post I have completed a tempo run, a 27K run, another track workout, a 7 mile run and a floating fartlek workout.

Here's a brief recap of each of the workout with a grade from 1-10:
Tempo Run: I did a 45 minute tempo run which consisted of a 10 minute warm-up, 30 minutes where my speed increased to beyond race pace, and then a 10 minute cool down. During the actual tempo part of my workout, I really pushed myself hard. I tried to visualize the speed I had during my track workout. (Grade 7 out of 10)

27K Long Run: I actually did this run on only a few hours sleep as I had attended the Can Fit Pro conference the night before. I knew that this was going to be a tough run and though at times it was, I was surprised that I was able to push through. My hamstrings were a little tight towards the end but overall I was pretty happy with what I was able to do. After running for close to 3 hours, I headed over to the Can Fit Pro conference where I did a few classes. My body was sore and so I decided not to train on the following day. (Grade 7 out of 10)

Track Workout: After taking two days off from running, I headed to the track for my 2nd week of doing 800M repeats. Last week I was happy with my speed and wondered how I would fare this time. I did 5 X 800M repeats in an average time of 3:20 (Grade 9 out of 10).

7 Mile Run: The goal for this run was to do an easy 7 Mile run to recover from the track work the day before. I tried to slow myself down just a little bit but I was feeling really good so I just ran by "feel." This has been something that has defined my training and I'm getting more comfortable with running this way. Running by "feel" has allowed me to get into my mental zone quicker than ever before. I use specific words to allow my breathing to return to normal. Eventually it feels like I'm walking and not running. (Grade 8 out of 10)

Floating Fartlek: This is a workout I will alternate with my tempo runs. This workout consisted of a 7 minute warm-up and then I ran hard for 1:40 and then slowed down the pace for 1:40 and then repeated this sequence for as many sets as I could handle. Today I did 6 sets and then followed that up with a 10 minute cool down. The workout lasted about 40 minutes but it was very intense. I used 1:40 because that is approximately how long it would take me to do run 400M. I may decide to do this workout at the track but for now I'm using relatively flat areas around my house.

My weekend workouts will consist of doing a 30K run and then a 16K run on Saturday and Sunday and then it's back to work on Monday. My Marathon is 7 weeks away which means that the training is going to intensify for the next 5 weeks and then I will be tapering for the last two.

No comments: