Friday, August 5, 2011

Changes get you out of your comfort zone



It's been over a month since I left my last job at Franklin Templeton Investments (FTI)and took a similar position with Ontario Power Generations (OPG). I made so many great friends at FTI and the job allowed me to develop teaching skills that I normally would never have taken up (step aerobics, TRX and spinning). Leaving was not something that was easy for me to do. I had developed a familiarity with the job and the people there.

However, one of the main reasons why I decided to change jobs was because OPG was only minutes from my home in Ajax. However, I found the first few weeks a big change as I was suddenly not teaching as much as I was accustomed to. This was one of the main reasons why I decided to train for another Marathon. I felt like I needed to have a goal to work towards.

As I became more comfortable with my new job and specifically the members, I knew that I would eventually find my comfort zone again. Over the past few weeks I have introduced TRX suspension training and circuit classes to many of the members and I now have a group of about 6-8 dedicated members who look forward to this workout. It has helped me connect with them and also get a good workout in at the same time. I feel like one of my strengths is my positive attitude and that I'm a good motivator.

What I need to be careful about is not pushing myself too much during these workouts as I need to save my body for the rigors of training for a Marathon. I'm curious to see how my long run goes tomorrow as my legs are still sore from Thursdays' workout.

The Killers is one of my favorite groups and the song "smile like you mean it" is probably one of my favorite songs by this group. The reason why I like this song so much is because of the message that is conveyed. Everyone is capable of smiling but how many people have true energy behind that smile? I am someone who is attracted to positive energy and stay away from things or people that are negative. I have become good at sifting through the people who claim to be positive but in reality are not. Then there are the people who are constantly complaining about how bad things are but are not working at making things better. I call these people energy vampires because they will literally suck the life out of you if you let them!

In many ways running long distances really force me to become a more positive person. I've only had two bad runs since I started running and both times they were because of the people I was running with. When I finished both runs I felt more stressed than when I had started. This should never happen in my opinion and it's probably why I prefer to run alone. The last thing I want when I run is someone to invade my positive head space.

Tomorrow will be a true test as I'm running 30K and have designed a route that will test me both physically and mentally. I like to put together little challenges throughout my Marathon training so I don't get too comfortable and tomorrow will be the first of several. In fact, towards the end of my run tomorrow I will actually force myself to run past my house and run an extra few miles before I come back home. I know that this will make me even stronger as I'm sure I'll want to stop early but I also know that if I do I'll regret it for the rest of the day and that's something I'm not prepared to do.

No comments: