Sunday, August 14, 2011

Every run is special but some are better than others


(sometimes I feel like I can run forever!)

One of the best things I love about running is that I truly never know what kind of run I'm going to have. I've mentioned before that I've only had a few "bad" runs and those were the result of me running with someone else. Even though I have suffered through some minor ailments while racing (lost toenails, dehydration and cramping) I still considered those runs as positive ones because I learned something valuable from them.

Then there are those days where everything seems to come together perfectly and that's what happened yesterday. My goal was to run 13 miles (21K's) as this was my down week of training. After running 27, 30 and 31.5 K's in the previous three weeks (for my long slow run) it was nice to run "only" a half marathon distance. I know that I have to train my body to embrace the half marathon distance and treat it as if I'm running a 10K race. As my body gets stronger and stronger, the distances are becoming a little easier to run. However, the last thing I ever want to do is not respect the distance that I'm running. When I first got into running I remember doing a 10K race in Guelph called the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot. At the time I was running 25K trail races and didn't think much of the 10K race. I soon realized that a 10K race can be just as gruelling especially if you are not mentally prepared for it. That was one of the toughest races I've done and it's something that I have never forgotten.

Armed with my music and two bottles (one filled with water and the other with an electrolyte/maltodextrin combination)I started off on my journey. I have become very good at letting the run come to me. What that means is that I start out relatively slow and actually repeat this phrase in my head over and over "run slow, breathe deeply, relax shoulders and enjoy."

I'm not sure if it was the fact that I knew I was running a shorter distance than I normally have run, the weather or the fact that I'm getting stronger but this run was one of the best ones I have had in a long time. Everything seemed perfect and I was so relaxed throughout. It was one of those runs where I really felt like I could run forever. I kept wishing that the Marathon was that day instead of 2 months from now. I couldn't believe that I had reached the 1/2 way point of the run so quickly and was worried that maybe I was running too fast. However, I have become better at running for "feel" so I decided to stick to the pace that I was on for as long as possible.

With about 2 miles left in the run, I felt like pushing myself a little more as I was feeling great. I envisioned myself at the Marathon with the finish line in my sights. Those last 2 miles were the fastest that I've run in quite some time but even after pushing myself that much I still felt incredible. When I got to my house I was shocked that I felt that good especially after running a 1/2 marathon distance. When I went into the house to see how long it had taken me I was amazed at the fact that I had finished the run in 1 hour and 55 minutes. This will be yet another bookmarked run that I will use on race day!

No comments: