Friday, July 29, 2011

Training smart isn't always easy



This has been an upsetting week in more ways then one. After taking Monday off from running I was all set to start up again on Tuesday morning. However, my stomach had other ideas. I was up for most of the night on Monday with stomach cramps. I tried to step outside for my run but my body was not going to have any part of that.
I went to work but only stayed for 1/2 the day as things got progressively worse. Wednesday and Thursday was much of the same.

Missing out on training has been tough because I've been on a such a great roll as of late. However, I know that by pushing myself too much I could actually create more problems. Despite knowing the right thing, I decided that I was well enough to try and run on Thursday morning. The run was actually better than I expected but I paid for it later that day.

I'm typing this on Friday morning and have a long run scheduled for tomorrow morning. I haven't settled on my mileage as of yet but I suspect it will be between 25-30 K's once again. I will make sure to take it easy though and have some detours planned just in case I need to cut the run short. My biggest concern is my hydration as I've lost quite a bit of electrolytes this past week and haven't been eating too much. I think I dropped about 5 pounds (not the way I was hoping for)during this week. My diet consisted of bananas, applesauce, rice and toast. I was fine with most of that but I've been gluten free for such a long time that eating toast was foreign to me. However, when I've had stomach issues before, this is the diet that has worked for me so I don't have much of a choice.

I was really hoping to build off the success of last week's long run so I want to make sure that I don't fall too far behind in my training. Things could have been worse, though, so I have to keep reminding myself that the Marathon is still many weeks away. One mini setback isn't going to put that in jeopardy.

No comments: