Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Developing Inner Strength




It's no secret that I believe in the power of the mnid. It's also no secret that I feel that running has allowed me to not only find my inner strength but also to improve it as well.

Today was week 4 of my hill training and my goal was to run 7 hills. Hill training, in the past, has strengthened my quads and has also helped me to focus on running technique. I'm constantly trying to use my hands like a sprinter would and getting my knees up as high as possible while landing on the midpoint, not just toes, of my foot. It is the shortest of my 5 weekly runs but it is the most taxing on my body. Getting up at 4:00 AM to prepare for a 35-40 minute run may seem like overkill to some but it's a necessary part of my training so I embrace it.

To develop my inner strength I need to be away from any distractions. I've become better at becoming more independent and that has built up my self-confidence. Whenever I feel that I can't go on, I can always bring myself back to a time and place where I felt the same way but was able to continue. I call this "Bookmarking."
Having run many Ultra Marathons I can honestly say that I am far from the fastest runner but what I lack in speed I make up for in mental toughness.

Many people surround themselves with too many distractions and by doing this they never truly develop that inner strength. They rely too much on outsiders to provide their motivation and then when those people aren't there, they are lost and have a difficult time carrying on without them. Unfortunately, I see too many of these people at the gym. Having mental toughness is something that anyone can have. It just takes practice, patience and above all else having a positive attitude. Our thoughts control our feelings and this will create either a positive or negative action.

Listening to music can be a good way to escape from reality and help to develop mental strength. When I run I simply must listen to music. There are some songs that really inspire confidence during a particularly tough run. I usually pay very close attention to the lyrics and have become very good at picking out a particular phrase which I can use as a metaphor for my running. Today, for example, I knew that I had one more hill to run. I typically will put my mp3 player on random so I never know what song will be coming next. As I began the last hill climb a great song came on (thanks Christopher) and the lyrics included the phrase "that's what they call intense!" As I finished this hill and looked at my watch I noticed that I had shaved 4 seconds off my fastest hill climb for the day. Music really can inspire you to achieve great things.

The stronger you can become mentally, the easier it will be for you to achieve the many goals you have for yourself. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility as long as you continue to believe that you can achieve anything and work hard at developing your inner strength.

No comments: